Thursday, September 12, 2013

Melt in Your Mouth Pumpkin Bars



I don't know about anyone else, but I'm so ready for fall!  I am so done with the heat, mosquitos and flies.  Fortunately, Utah has finally cooled down just this week thanks to some awesome rain.  We pulled out our fall decorations a couple days ago and have been cooking with pumpkin ever since.  My daughter had to take a treat to a church activity last night and she requested pumpkin cookies.  While I was flipping through my cookbook for the recipe, I stumbled across a pumpkin bar recipe I copied down years ago from a Better Homes and Garden cookbook I'd checked out at the library.  I decided to resurrect this gem of a recipe and with a few modifications, they turned out divine.  The secret is the orange or lemon zest in the frosting.  Ah. Maz. Ing.

Melt in Your Mouth Pumpkin Bars

Bars:

1/4 cup coconut oil
2/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp milk
2 slightly beaten eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 320 degrees.  Combine dry ingredients and set aside.  Cream coconut oil and sugar, then add milk, eggs and pumpkin.  Add dry ingredients and mix well.  Bake in preheated oven 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center.  Allow to cool completely then frost with Cream Cheese Frosting

Frosting:

1/4 cup cream cheese
1 3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp grated lemon or orange zest

Combine the cream cheese and 1 cup of the powdered sugar.  Beat with a mixer until creamy.  Add vanilla and zest and mix.  Finally, gradually beat in the remainder 3/4 cup of powdered sugar. Spread over prepared cake and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment