Thursday, September 12, 2013

Pumpkin French Toast and Homemade Syrup

See, told you we've been cooking with pumpkin!  Yum-o.  The boys are on a road trip this weekend, so to lift up the spirits of those of us left behind, I made pumpkin French Toast for breakfast.  Made with Great Harvest Cinnamon Burst Bread...it's pretty much a breakfast fit for 3 little princesses.


Pumpkin French Toast

2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup pumpkin (I just use canned)
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
Any bread you have lying around the house

Whisk together eggs, milk, pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon and cloves.  Soak pieces of bread in mixture and cook on a medium-hot griddle 1-2 minutes per side.  Top with butter and warm homemade syrup.

I grew up on store bought syrup and I actually preferred it until a few years ago.  I've reluctantly been making syrup since I married a syrup snob (who I adore) 12 years ago who hates the store bought corn syrupy deliciousness.  He finally won me over when I realized it was so much cheaper to make your own.  Plus, it's insanely easy to make.  Who knew?  Now I actually prefer it!

Homemade Maple Syrup

2 cups white sugar
1 cup water
1/2 cup brown sugar

Bring to boil for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in:

1 tsp Mapleine
1/2 cup corn syrup (Optional.  It just makes the syrup have a thicker consistency.)

Oila!  You have warm maple syrup to top your Pumpkin French Toast, or pancakes or waffles or whatever your syrup needs are.  Plus, it impresses guests.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment